Boom! I’m back!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the blogging-sphere – with a resounding boom! I have returned! In order to ease you back into the weekly waffles, this week’s is nothing hard hitting – just a bringing you up to date post!
With schools returning at the beginning of this week and the freshers moving into their accommodation this weekend, Monday marks the start of the new semester for the academic year 2015-16. The shorts are folded and packed away and the smart shirts and trousers washed and awaiting to be ironed. It is often valuable to look back over the summer vacation and see what, in a positive manner, you have achieved, always ensuring that you don’t go down the road of detailing everything you didn’t manage to get done. It is also a time to look ahead at the exciting (yes I did say exciting) things I have planned for this academic year.
- New titles and segments – I’ve been watching numerous Youtube videos covering tutorials relating to how to use Adobe’s After Effects. Why? Well apart from really enjoying learning new things, I wanted to recreate my titles for Wilson Waffling Live after Josh Burnell (musical genius) created the new music for the introduction/titles. After weeks, I have finally managed to master the basics, as well as gaining a better understanding of rendering, and the new titles are now ready to run this evening when Wilson Waffling Live returns. I’ve still got a few to do, but things are moving in the right direction so I am looking forward to the grand reveal!
- Minecraft and Servers – Although I have had some shaking moments with NitrousNetworks this summer, everything is now sorted and my new servers are almost ready to come to life! Rather than just having one server I now own four…yes I did say four…each with a different function. These are all linked via a bungee chord server and I have been delving into the world of PermissionsEx and MySQL in order to get the permissions to be the same across all the worlds. I’ve also managed to work more with PremierePro (yes I am an adobe sort of guy) in order to create videos of some speed builds, using tunes by Approaching Nirvana as supporting music. Really hoping for more players to join the existing excellent community on the servers as the year progresses, so if you are interested in playing then you can apply here.
- Mixing and Microphones – After completing an excellent course on podcasting by Colin Gray – I have decided to try and combine both my live show and blog to produce some sort of podcast. Colin’s course is very inspiring and I couldn’t resist the number of electronic gadgets associated with podcasting. Luckily many of these are two fold and will support my live shows too. I’ve had these set up for a while and been using these as part of my game streams with various degrees of success. Tonight will be the first test with Wilson Waffling Live and I’ll probably deafen the listeners with feedback on multiple occasions so, if you are coming along, be quick with that volume control.
When I sum up my summer vacation in three points it doesn’t look as if I have been doing much – but I do feel that I have made lots of progress. As for this year well, here are some snippets of ideas I will be working on.
- More academic – Once a month I am planning a more ‘academic’ blog post – this will not be called a waffle and will hopefully be supported with references. This is to support me in developing my writing on academic level – rather than my weekly waffles.
- Waffling Forums – I have been neglecting my waffling forums on the site recently and I am planning to integrate these more into my blogging schedule and live shows.
- Expanding the community – I’ve already mentioned about the Minecraft servers, but I really want to further develop the community on my site as well as hopefully joining other communities. My plans for this include the use of gamification with the Open Badges, guest contributions to the live shows/podcasts and even people posting their own content to the forums as well as myself getting involved in other communities – so if you would like to be write or provide content then let me know!
Phew, that was a bit of an epic waffle for the first post of the semester! I’m sure this year is going to be a great one and I am really looking forward to getting involved and making new connections as well as participating in and developing communities
Remember keep up to date with my waffles by subscribing to;
Have fun and I’ll catch you later